Monday, August 16, 2010

Dear Mike!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan

 
It’s another hot sunny Sunday afternoon. I can hardly wait for Fall. I’ve said this, I know a million times, fall is my favorite time of year. The leaves change (can you say weekend mountain trips to Boone? Oh yeah!) The weather is cooler. I can wear sweatshirts, sweatpants, shawls and sit on my front porch without sweating.

Go to App State football games in Kidd Brewer Stadium, eat wings at Beef O’Bradys with my son, and ride the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I’m clicking my heels like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz and saying, “September is coming. September is coming.” And right around the corner from September is…November.

Saturday night as I sat and listened to a local politician running for NC House, I heard him state that he was a conservative, would fight for the people, and wouldn’t let the establishment corrupt his values. But we’ve heard those words out of all candidates. So what makes this candidate or any other candidate different?

But you know what? I do genuinely believe him. I’ve seen his actions over the years as councilman and have watched how he has stood up and has not let his principles sway. He’s been outnumbered more times than I can count but he didn’t waver. He kept fighting the battles day after day anyway. That’s good, but is it enough?

Raleigh is a different animal than Sanford’s city hall. Raleigh has been corrupt for quite some time. Just like Washington. And it is time to replace the cronies. Time to replace them with people who will remember it’s “We the people”, not “We the servants.” Again, are the options we have good enough?

That being said, I have a few things to say to this individual.

Dear Mike,

I believe you. I believe you do hold us in high regard. I believe you will try your best to not let the corruption take hold and embed itself in your heart.

You said if the voters wanted you home in two years, so be it. You would live your life just fine. Ok. This is the way all politicians should be.

But Mike, please note, I’ll be watching. We all will be watching. I’ll be watching to see if you’re living up to your proclaimed standards once you’re there. We’ve had enough of the good old boys doing one thing in Raleigh and Washington and coming home saying another. We’ve had enough of wearing the label “highest taxes in the Southeast.” We’ve had enough of high unemployment and the continual attack on the citizens with higher taxes because Washington and Raleigh can’t quit spending. Rather, WON’T quit spending.

We’ve had enough of the dismal NC SAT scores and graduation rates, plus the millions upon millions of dollars being thrown at education with little improvement. We’ve had enough of Board of Education members and commissioners telling us that pretty buildings create success when it’s the teachers and parents that do that. We’ve had enough of footing the bill for “career” educators that should be kicked out of the classroom and sent packing. Find a way while you’re there to stop this madness.

We’ve had enough of the liars, cheaters, class-baiters, hypocrites, immoral behavior and unethical actions all at taxpayer expense. We’ve had enough of the gerrymandering to sway elections. We’ve simply had enough.

Mike, we want integrity, honor, and respect brought back to Jones Street, Capitol Hill, and Pennyslvania Avenue. Are you up to it?

It’s a tall order. It’s almost an impossible one knowing the establishment.
But it can be done. It can be done with perseverance, tenacity, and guts.

Mike, I’m going to end this letter with a little bit of advice my mom gave me and the Founding Fathers gave us.

Mom always told me to put God first. She said it would keep me out of trouble. I haven’t always listened to that. But she’s right. With his guidance, the corruption won’t take you over. Bet your mom did too.

And my favorite, from Thomas Jefferson, “We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

Yes, Mike, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness were never given to us by the government. For what the government gives, the government can take away.

My God, Mike, doesn’t take away what He freely gives.

Good luck.

Sheila

(Clicking my heels again this time saying “November is coming..November is coming.")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome as long as they are civil and on the topic.