Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hamlet's Question

“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”

Thomas Jefferson


In one of William Shakespeare’s greatest masterpieces, Hamlet cried: “To be or not to be, that is the question…”.

Although most psychologists and literature geeks say this is Hamlet’s last stand, anguishing over a lost love, and pondering whether to live or die (ok, suicide), I choose to relate it to my country…a country that was once so great, Correction: IS SO GREAT, with wide-open arms for all who want to come legally and enjoy its bounty that comes with hard work and determination, a country that was founded on principles of being kind and helping your fellow man, and a country bequeathed to us by our Founding Fathers that were willing to lose fame, fortune, families for their sacred honor.

This is a country like no other.

My friends, if you’re reading this blog diligently, I have, and so has Dean, tried to show how the left is attempting to destroy this great land with tyrannical legislation, heavy taxation, and encroachment in our lives so deep it’s hard to see the top of the well, anymore. We’ve watched how ugly politics can get, even at the local level, and even with those that claim they are Christians.
The story continues...click Read more to your left...

So I ask you…Are we ready “to be or not to be” again a nation that promotes freedom and fights for it?

Are we ready “to be or not to be” a nation that believes we had certain rights granted at birth (those of us who survived a birth because our mothers didn’t abort us,) by a Creator who cares deeply for us?

Are we ready “to be or not to be” a society that does not bow down to any foreign dictator nor condones our President apologizing for America’s so-called bigotry, racism, etc, just because he’s black? Are we ready to stand together and demand him and others to apologize to us, the citizens, for these actions?

(FYI:  Some of our Founding Fathers were black.  I was never taught this in history class.)

 

Are we ready “to be or not to be” together on issues that threaten our national security and demand our President and Attorney General Holder do something about the atrocities occurring in Arizona? I don’t think I’ve heard an oath yet that states, “I do solemnly swear to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America minus Arizona…” Have you?

Are we ready “to be or not to be” on solid footing and pronounce that tyranny should not and will not take over this country?

Are we ready “to be or not to be” true patriots and put our lives on the line for our neighbors and America. Or are we all cowards and plan to accept our fate?

Are we ready “to be or not to be” the voice of thousands who are afraid to say anything for fear of a backlash? Let me stop here. I want to talk about something that is a touchy subject here in Lee County. Someone told me the other day to not get on the wrong side of the sheriff or any law enforcement officer. They said nothing good comes out of it. I beg to differ.

I’ve always been taught not to be afraid of controversy. To take a stand for what I believe in. And applause is in order for our sheriff for doing just that. I don’t agree with him but I admire him for standing for his beliefs.

I honestly believe that office should be politically neutral. The people should elect who they want to be as Sheriff but partisan politics should be out the door.

And no individual should be afraid of speaking out because he or she fears retribution. Did my informant encounter some retribution in the past? Geez, I hope not.

So be it. I am publicly taking a chance because my heart says to do it. Will I be pulled over or harassed because I disagree with the “political” views of my sheriff?  Will my 911 call not get answered as quickly because I feel this way? Let's hope not. But those fears will not keep me quiet.

 I don’t disagree at all on how much safer our streets are here in Lee County than they were before. We’ve had more drug busts, deadbeat dads, illegal immigrants and other criminals taken off the streets. And depending on the time of the year, the crime stats fluctuate so much we may not feel as safe at times but we are safer.

I’m serious. I have been terrified to speak up. But I stood up, in my eyes, to a bully the other night when I confronted a Congressman Bob Etheridge, face to face. It took guts, knowing I was being video taped to say how I feel. A Congressman has just as much if not more power to wreck my life as a sheriff’s department would have. However, I am convinced our sheriff believes he’s doing what’s right for Lee County by endorsing the opposite party’s candidates. Even if I don’t. Oh well.

That being said, friends, are YOU willing “to be or not to be”___________.

Well, it’s time for YOU to fill in the blanks.

As for me, I will strive to be:

A defender of freedom, liberty, and individualism;

A voice for those who want to say something but are afraid;

An American willing to fight for her country, her future, her honor,

And yours.

Until next time,

Sheila

1 comment:

lcreech said...

And I think it can't get any better and it does with your thoughts from your heart. And to see Bobby sweat, would make all of our days.

Love ya
Linda

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome as long as they are civil and on the topic.