Thursday, September 15, 2011

September 17th, Constitution Day


     When is Independence Day?  July 4th, of course!  Just about anyone in this country knows that.  Go ask ten people when Constitution Day is and you will likely get blank stares and no answers.  July 4th has been drilled into our heads as the most important date in our country’s history.  It’s true!  Independence Day is important in the history of our country, as each country’s Independence Day is important for their citizens. 

    September 17th is an important day in our country's history, too.  Our constitution was signed and ratified on September 17th, 1787.  It was the beginning of our national experiment, our representative republic, our unique form of government.  I have read the constitution and I understand a lot of it, but I must confess that I have a lot to learn still.  The constitution was only touched on in my high school names-and-dates American History class.  My college instructor for American History was quite liberal, as was I at that point in my life.  So her version of the constitution worked for me.  Once I began homeschooling many years later, I ‘relearned’ American History as I taught it to my daughters.  And what an education it was for me!   I have graduated my daughters from our homeschool, but I am a lifelong learner now, so I still read and study all kind of things.

  Today, Hillsdale College, an independent liberal arts college in Michigan, is hosting a Constitution Day Celebration.  It will be simulcast on the internet.  And beginning next week, they are presenting their course, “Introduction to the Constitution” via the internet. This is a 5-week course...and it’s free!   For more information, go to: https://constitution.hillsdale.edu/

   I have seen this course offered before, but the timing wasn’t right for me to commit to it.  The timing is good now, so I will be taking it.  Maybe the timing is good for you, too.


Nancy Vest  

5 comments:

Sheila Barber said...

Amen Sister. Thanks for the info. Timing is right.

Kirk D. Smith said...

Dear Nancy,

Truly a wonderful announcement of our upcoming Constitution's birthday, thank you.

As always, I shall remain, In Search of Our GOD Given Liberties!

Randall Lee Yow said...

Constitution Day brought to you by a Democratic Senator Robert Byrd. This North Carolina born politician inserted the legislation that changed Citizenship Day into Constitution Day in 2004. All schools that receive federal funds are mandated to have some form of Constitution study that day. Does anybody know what the Lee County schools systems did or are going to do for the holiday? I always encourage people to study this period of American history because they can see how controversial some of the things we take for granted where. Like the adoption of the Constitution. North Carolina was the 12th state to enter the Union, waiting until November 21st 1789.

-Randall Lee Yow

Kirk D. Smith said...

Dear Randall,

Lee County Schools most likely ignored any Constitution Day events while busily working on their next indoctrinating campaign against the school performance audit!

Sadly, while at the fair, I was questioning the young wards of our local "public educational collectives" and NONE of them knew about, Constitution Day! Their best guess was July 4th, some remembered 1776.

Karl Marx was right "free education for all children in public schools!" Remember public schools are run by government with the efficiency of the U.S. Post Office!

As always, I shall remain. . . In Search of Our GOD Given Liberties!

Sheila Barber said...

Kirk,

I have to disagree. The USPS is better. They actually get a return for its services.

And are contemplating making serious changes in order to stay open - changes that won't require a bailout.

Our schools on the other hand get yearly bailouts from taxpayers for mismanagement and failure in alot of places. And they seem to can't manage well here in Lee County on $83 million. They want more!

The public school system just keeps digging deeper and deeper into our pockets and then they get extremely TICKED OFF (could say worse) when we ask for an audit!

You see the USPS has competition. And it's making them look at being better and leaner. School systems have none. None at all.

sheila

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome as long as they are civil and on the topic.