Friday, June 14, 2013

Two Reasons to Fly Your Flag Today


Growing up, June 14th was recognized as something personal in my family...my parents' wedding anniversary.  The story goes that my parents were sitting in the cafeteria at the State Department where they both worked when a co-worker, in jest, asked them when they were getting married.  My parents had only been dating for about 4 months and hadn't spoken of marriage at all, so my mom was highly embarrassed by the question.  My dad, though, looked the guy straight in the eye and said, "June 14th."  Sure enough, they were married on June 14th that year.

My parents' anniversary being on June 14th is only meaningful to a handful of people.  But two other anniversaries on June 14th are important to every American:  Flag Day and the U.S. Army Birthday.  

The Flag Act was passed on June 14, 1777.   Read more about it here:
or

And the U.S. Army is 238 years old today.  Read more about it here:
or

One more thing...don't forget to fly your flag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome as long as they are civil and on the topic.